    SubjectRe: mm: shmem_zero_setup skip security check and lockdep conflict with XFS
    On 07/09/2015 04:23 AM, Hugh Dickins wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Jul 2015, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    >>> This causes a regression for SELinux (please, in the future, cc
    >>> selinux list and Paul Moore on SELinux-related changes). In
    >
    > Surprised and sorry about that, yes, I should have Cc'ed.
    >
    >>> particular, this change disables SELinux checking of mprotect
    >>> PROT_EXEC on shared anonymous mappings, so we lose the ability to
    >>> control executable mappings. That said, we are only getting that
    >>> check today as a side effect of our file execute check on the tmpfs
    >>> inode, whereas it would be better (and more consistent with the
    >>> mmap-time checks) to apply an execmem check in that case, in which
    >>> case we wouldn't care about the inode-based check. However, I am
    >>> unclear on how to correctly detect that situation from
    >>> selinux_file_mprotect() -> file_map_prot_check(), because we do have a
    >>> non-NULL vma->vm_file so we treat it as a file execute check. In
    >>> contrast, if directly creating an anonymous shared mapping with
    >>> PROT_EXEC via mmap(...PROT_EXEC...), selinux_mmap_file is called with
    >>> a NULL file and therefore we end up applying an execmem check.
    >
    > If you're willing to go forward with the change, rather than just call
    > for an immediate revert of it, then I think the right way to detect
    > the situation would be to check IS_PRIVATE(file_inode(vma->vm_file)),
    > wouldn't it?

    That seems misleading and might trigger execmem checks on non-shmem
    inodes. S_PRIVATE was originally introduced for fs-internal inodes that
    are never directly exposed to userspace, originally for reiserfs xattr
    inodes (reiserfs xattrs are internally implemented as their own files
    that are hidden from userspace) and later also applied to anon inodes.
    It would be better if we had an explicit way of testing that we are
    dealing with an anonymous shared mapping in selinux_file_mprotect() ->
    file_map_prot_check().

      Last update: 2015-07-09 15:21    [W:4.604 / U:0.568 seconds]