SubjectRe: perf, kprobes: fuzzer generates huge number of WARNings
On 2015/07/07 13:00, Vince Weaver wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2015, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
>
>> On 2015/07/07 6:27, Vince Weaver wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I've been working on trying to get the perf_fuzzer to start fuzzing the
>>> PERF_EVENT_IOC_SET_BPF so I've added some really hackish kprobe support.
>>>
>>> However before I can get to the BPF testing the kprobe code generates a
>>> constant stream of WARNINGS which make the machine more or less useless
>>> until I stop it. I've included a small selection here.
>>>
>>> Is this expected?
>>
>> Did you get same message without BPF hack? And also, could you tell us
>> your kernel version and configuration?
>
> It's a Hawell machine running 4.2-rc1. I can post the .config if it's of
> interest.

Yes, I'm interested in.

> Well the BPF hack is in the fuzzer, not the kernel. And it's not really a
> hack, it just turned out to be a huge pain to figure out how to
> manually create a valid BPF program in conjunction with a valid kprobe
> event.
>
> I did have to sprinkle printks in the kprobe and bpf code to find out
> where various EINVAL returns were coming from, so potentially this is just
> a problem of printks happening where they shouldn't. I'll remove those
> changes and try to reproduce this tomorrow.

OK, and also, if you have a chance, please run the ftracetest as below.

$ cd tools/testing/selftest/ftrace/
$ sudo ./ftracetest

This will do a series of basic tests on ftrace and report it.

> This is possibly a long standing issue, until now I never ran the fuzzer
> as root so these particular code paths weren't tested.

Thanks,

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
Linux Technology Research Center, System Productivity Research Dept.

  Last update: 2015-07-07 12:41    [W:0.122 / U:0.396 seconds]