SubjectRe: Feature request, "create on mount" to create mount point directory on mount, implied remove on unmount
On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 11:48:28PM +0100, jon wrote:
> It solves these problems:
> 1) It solves the problem of processes writing data into the mount point
> when not mounted (as does, I accept a user space automounter, but as I
> explained the usage scenario differs).
>
> 2) It would be useful for embedded devices, installers etc. I do quite
> a bit of work in the embedded space, sometimes running kernel+shell+user
> process only, sometimes no udev, no systemd, not even full fat init.
>
> 3) installers or similar could use such an option for mounting install
> data. By specifying the flag user space processes can infer that the FS
> is successfully mounted by the presence of the mount point without the
> need to explicitly code against an event system or parse log files.
>
> 3) Users can use it to have a slightly improved new mount behaviour and
> also hopefully be used as a flag to indicate that "oh so clever user
> space managers" should stay away entries using it in fstab.

man mount (since util-linux v2.23, May 2013):

x-mount.mkdir[=mode] Allow to make a target directory (mountpoint).

It's userspace mount(8) option and you can use it in your fstab.

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>
http://karelzak.blogspot.com

  Last update: 2015-07-15 17:01    [W:0.070 / U:0.040 seconds]