SubjectRe: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?
On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Richard Weinberger
<richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>> The current state of uncertainty is problematic, I think. The kdbus
>>> team is spending a lot of time making things compatible with kdbus,
>>> and the latest systemd release makes kdbus userspace support
>>> mandatory.
>>
>> I stopped here in this email, as this is just flat out totally wrong,
>> and I don't want to waste my time trying to refute other totally wrong
>> statements as that would just somehow give them some validation that
>> they could possibly be correct.
>
> For the guys who not follow systemd development, this is the
> announcement in question:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-June/033170.html
>
> * kdbus support is no longer compile-time optional. It is now
> always built-in. However, it can still be disabled at
> runtime using the kdbus=0 kernel command line setting, and
> that setting may be changed to default to off, by specifying
> --disable-kdbus at build-time. Note though that the kernel
> command line setting has no effect if the kdbus.ko kernel
> module is not installed, in which case kdbus is (obviously)
> also disabled. We encourage all downstream distributions to
> begin testing kdbus by adding it to the kernel images in the
> development distributions, and leaving kdbus support in
> systemd enabled.

That is, indeed, what I was referring to. Sorry if my half-a-sentence
summary wasn't spot on.

FWIW, once there are real distros with kdbus userspace enabled,
reviewing kdbus gets more complicated -- we'll be in the position
where merging kdbus in a different form from that which was proposed
will break existing users.

--Andy

  Last update: 2015-06-23 17:21    [W:0.134 / U:0.828 seconds]