SubjectRe: A desktop environment[1] kernel wishlist
Date
On Wednesday, May 06, 2015 10:40:53 AM Chirantan Ekbote wrote:
> [...]
> >> fails from lucid sleep, the power manager re-announces that the system
> >> is in lucid sleep and will re-suspend soon. It's actually a little
> >> smart about this: it will only re-announce lucid sleep if there was a
> >> wakeup_count mismatch or if the write to /sys/power/state returned
> >> EBUSY. Other failures only trigger a simple retry and no DBus signal.
> >> We do this because these wakeup events may legitimately trigger lucid
> >> sleep. For example, more packets may arrive from the network or the
> >> RTC may go off and applications don't perform work until they hear
> >> from the power manager that the system is in lucid sleep. At this
> >> point the power manager is back to waiting for applications to report
> >> ready (or for the retry timer to fire). This process may repeat
> >> multiple times if we keep getting wakeup events right as the system
> >> tries to re-suspend.
> >>

> >> So that was a little long-winded but hopefully I've addressed all your
> >> concerns about potential race conditions in this code. I simplified a
> >> few bits because would just complicate the discussion but for the most
> >> part this is how the feature works now. Having the kernel emit a
> >> uevent with the wakeup event type would take the place of the power
> >> manager reading from /sys/power/wakeup_type in this system but
> >> wouldn't really affect anything else.
> >
> > Which loops back to my previous remark: Things may get ugly if /sys/power/wakeup_type
> > doesn't do the right thing (the uevent mechanics you'd like to replace it with
> > will really need to do the same, so I'm not quite sure it's worth the effort).
> >
> > Namely, it really has to cover all events that might have woken you up and
> > happened before stuff has started to be added to the input buffers that Chrome
> > cares about. It is difficult to identify the exact point where that takes place
> > in the resume sequence, but it should be somewhere in dpm_resume_end(). Why so?
> > Because it really doesn't matter why exactly the system is waking up. What
> > matters is whether or not an event that you should react to by bringing up the
> > UI happens *at* *any* *time* between (and including) the actual wakeup and the
> > point when you can rely on the input buffers to contain any useful information
> > consumable by Chrome.
> >

> So this is something that we don't catch right now. Our
> implementation queries the firmware via an ACPI call to get the wakeup
> source and I was assuming that any events after that *would*
> eventually make their way up to Chrome or userspace. But based on
> what you are saying, it seems like we do drop any events that occur
> between the wakeup and the time when the input buffers contain useful
> information.
>
> I'm guessing that this window is pretty small though and when we do
> end up missing an event, we can consider ourselves lucky because the
> typical user reaction when their computer doesn't wake up is to start
> pressing random keys on the keyboard and we would definitely catch

That is, provided that the "user" actually is a human at the keyboard which
need not be the case in the general situation.

> > This pretty much means that /sys/power/wakeup_type needs to behave almost like
> > /sys/power/wakeup_count, but is limited to a subset of wakeup sources. That's
> > why I was talking about splitting the wakeup count.
> >
> > So instead of adding an entirely new mechanics for that, why don't you add
> > something like "priority" or "weight" to struct wakeup_source and assign
> > higher values of that to the wakeup sources associated with the events
> > you want to bring up the UI after resume? And make those "higher-priority"
> > wakeup sources use a separate wakeup counter, so you can easily verify if
> > any of them has triggered by reading that or making it trigger a uevent if
> > you want to?
> >

> Sounds good to me.

OK

So I can prototype high-level support for that in the wakeup sources framework.

In addition to that we would need to ensure that the wakeup sources would be
activated in response to the wakeup interrupts handled by the IRQ core between
suspendind and resuming device IRQs. That is slightly less straightforward
than one might think, but should be doable.

Would you be interested in that?

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.

  Last update: 2015-05-08 01:01    [W:0.129 / U:2.320 seconds]