SubjectRe: how to have the kernel do udev's job and autoload the right modules ?
On Wed, 6 May 2015, linuxcbon linuxcbon wrote:

> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:53 PM, David Lang <david@lang.hm> wrote:
>> It's perfectly legitimate to not want to use udev, but that doesn't mean
>> that the kernel will (or should) do it for you.
>> David Lang
>
> When I boot the kernel without modules, I don't have anything working
> except "minimal video".
> I think the kernel should give a minimal support for network, sound and
> video, even if 0 modules are loaded. I am just dreaming,

You can do that, you just need to build in all the network and sound drivers
(and pick which driver in the case of conflicts)

There isn't such a thing as a 'generic' network or sound card. For video there
is 'VGA video' which is used by default on x86 systems, but even that's a driver
that could be disabled.

David Lang

  Last update: 2015-05-06 23:21    [W:0.089 / U:0.056 seconds]