SubjectRe: runtime check for omap-aes bus access permission (was: Re: 3.13-rc3 (commit 7ce93f3) breaks Nokia N900 DT boot)
Date
On Friday 29 May 2015 00:24:13 Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Matthijs van Duin <matthijsvanduin@gmail.com> [150528 13:28]:
> > On 28 May 2015 at 18:01, Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:
> > > For failed device access you get an interrupt
> >
> > Well for failed reads you get a bus error, and "catching" those
> > (e.g. using the existing exception mechanism used to catch MMU
> > faults) is the whole issue.
> >
> > Though now that you mention it, it is true that for writes you
> > won't get any fault (at least on the DM814x and AM335x the posting
> > point appears to be the async bridge from MPUSS to the L3
> > interconnect) but an interconnect error irq instead. It may be
> > easier to make some kind of harmless write (e.g. to the version
> > register), wait a bit, and check if the write triggered an
> > interconnect error.
> >
> > Feels hackish though: you'd need to be sure you waited long enough
> > (though using a read from another device on the same L4
> > interconnect should be a reliable barrier in this case), and
> > drivers for receiving/interpreting interconnect errors are not
> > implemented yet on all SoCs (for some, like the AM335x, TI didn't
> > even bother publishing the relevant data in its TRM). Interconnect
> > errors can also be lost in some cases (multiple errors involving
> > the same target in a short time window) though that problem
> > shouldn't arise in this particular case.
>
> Hmm I believe the interrupt happens immediately trying to access an
> invalid device. But maybe I'm thinking about just errors if a device
> is not powered or clocked. So obviously some experiments need to be
> done :)
>
> The advantage here would be that the l3 driver actually already knows
> quite a bit about the devices on the bus.
>
> > Also, presumably interconnect error reporting is unavailable on HS
> > devices given the fact that all interconnect registers seemed to be
> > inaccessible?
>
> Oh OK yeah then that would not work for Pali's case. I guess it just
> needs to be tested.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

Ok, thanks for info. Do you have some quick small patches for testing?
Or some pointers what is needed to modify and how?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

  Last update: 2015-05-29 01:01    [W:0.081 / U:0.080 seconds]