SubjectRe: [BUG] Read-Only THP causes stalls (commit 10359213d)
From
On 26 May 2015 at 09:08, Christoffer Dall <christoffer.dall@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 04:15:25PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>> Hello Christoffer,
>>
>> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 09:34:04PM +0200, Christoffer Dall wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I noticed a regression on my arm64 APM X-Gene system a couple
>> > of weeks back. I would occassionally see the system lock up and see RCU
>> > stalls during the caching phase of kernbench. I then wrote a small
>> > script that does nothing but cache the files
>> > (http://paste.ubuntu.com/11324767/) and ran that in a loop. On a known
>> > bad commit (v4.1-rc2), out of 25 boots, I never saw it get past 21
>> > iterations of the loop. I have since tried to run a bisect from v3.19 to
>> > v4.0 using 100 iterations as my criteria for a good commit.
>> >
>> > This resulted in the following first bad commit:
>> >
>> > 10359213d05acf804558bda7cc9b8422a828d1cd
>> > (mm: incorporate read-only pages into transparent huge pages, 2015-02-11)
>> >
>> > Indeed, running the workload on v4.1-rc4 still produced the behavior,
>> > but reverting the above commit gets me through 100 iterations of the
>> > loop.
>> >
>> > I have not tried to reproduce on an x86 system. Turning on a bunch
>> > of kernel debugging features *seems* to hide the problem. My config for
>> > the XGene system is defconfig + CONFIG_BRIDGE and
>> > CONFIG_POWER_RESET_XGENE.
>> >
>> > Please let me know if I can help test patches or other things I can
>> > do to help. I'm afraid that by simply reading the patch I didn't see
>> > anything obviously wrong with it which would cause this behavior.
>>
>> As further confirmation, could you try:
>>
>> echo 0 > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/khugepaged/pages_to_scan
>
> this returns -EINVAL.
>
> But I'm trying now with:
>
> echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
>

>> and verify the problem goes away without having to revert the patch?
>
> will let you know, so far so good...
>

>> Accordingly you should reproduce much eaiser this way (setting
>> $largevalue to 8192 or something, it doesn't matter).
>>
>> echo $largevalue > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/khugepaged/pages_to_scan
>> echo 0 > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/khugepaged/alloc_sleep_millisecs
>> echo 0 > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/khugepaged/scan_sleep_millisecs
>>
>> Then push the system into swap with some memhog -r1000 xG.
>
> what is memhog? I couldn't find the utility in Google...
>
> I did try with the above settings and just push a bunch of data into
> ramfs and tmpfs and indeed the sytem died very quickly (on v4.0-rc4).
>

>> The patch just allows readonly anon pages to be collapsed along with
>> read-write ones, the vma permissions allows it, so they have to be
>> swapcache pages, this is why swap shall be required.
>>
>> Perhaps there's some arch detail that needs fixing but it'll be easier
>> to track it down once you have a way to reproduce fast.
>>
> Yes, would be great to be able to reproduce quickly.
>
> Thanks,
> -Christoffer

Hi Christoffer,
I'm trying to reproduce this on hardware here; but have been unable to
thus far with 4.1-rc2 on a Xgene and Seattle systems.
Also, I tried the memhog + pages_to_scan suggestion from Andrea.

Maybe a silly question, where is your root filesystem located? Is
there anything network mounted?

Cheers,
--
Steve

  Last update: 2015-05-26 16:41    [W:0.073 / U:0.092 seconds]