    SubjectRe: [RFC v1] tree-wide: remove "select FW_LOADER" uses
    On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:44 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
    > At Fri, 22 May 2015 10:17:48 +0200,
    > Paul Bolle wrote:

    >> Luis also tried to explain to me that disabling FW_LOADER shouldn't make
    >> the build fail. (And, of course, we could decide to not care about
    >> randconfig builds that have EXPERT set. Maybe we could even special case
    >> EXPERT in randconfig. But that would make randconfig builds less useful.
    >> That's a separate issue, anyhow.)
    >
    > But FW_LOADER is a tristate, so it might be inconsistent if selected
    > randomly? Luis' patch doesn't add depends but just removes select.

    We could go both ways, either remove the "select" or replace it with
    "depends on". As you note keeping the "depends on" ensures run time
    sanity for the possible tristate mismatches, but this is an EXPERT
    concern. The crux of what option to go with is:

    Should we concern ourselves with run time configuration issues when
    folks enable EXPERT?

    Without EXPERT all run time configurations are vetted to run as
    FW_LOADER defaults to y. If we go down the path of removing the select
    completely we'd be taking a position that we could at least ensure
    EXPERT builds will work, but we cannot vet for not run time sanity of
    such build. I favor simplicity so would prefer to nuke the select
    completely and if we're really concerned about EXPERT users tristate
    mismatch misconfiguration why not just replace tristate with bool for
    FW_LOADER. That would do us the service of simplifying that code a
    bit, and leave only in place one way for folks that enable EXPERT to
    shoot themselves in the foot with FW_LOADER?

    Luis

      Last update: 2015-05-22 20:21    [W:2.678 / U:0.104 seconds]