SubjectRe: regulator: da9062: undefined Kconfig option MFD_DA9062
On Fri, 2015-05-22 at 10:35 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > Is there a patch queued somewhere to add the missing Kconfig option?
>
> This is totally normal for merging MFDs where the MFD goes in via the
> MFD tree and the subsystem drivers go in via their trees. This way
> subsystem maintainers don't have to sit through endless resends of the
> core driver.

But we have to mention these things, for reasons like:
- the unknown symbol might simply be caused by a typo;
- the unknown symbol might change name while drivers depending on it are
already merged (we had such a situation last year, didn't we?);
- the symbol might not make it into the tree at all (or take _very_ long
to get there).

So every time a driver is added to linux-next that depends on an unknown
symbol a boring message like this will be sent. And people can simply
respond to it with a link to the patch that adds the missing symbol.

It's a bit annoying. But it helps in catching errors as early as
possible. And it gives the people looking into these kconfig oddities
the info they need to keep track of things.

Paul Bolle

  Last update: 2015-05-22 12:21    [W:0.103 / U:0.116 seconds]