Subject[REGRESSION] 4.1-rc4: Sound muted after boot
Date
Hello!

On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches and
one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal Intel HD
audio codec.

According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud speaker
is in disabled state. Also KDE´s Phonon says a soundcard is missing. In
alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the key next to the LED
I get a notification on the desktop that loud speaker has been enabled /
disabled, but the LED still is on for it being disabled.

I do not hear anything in Amarok or with aplay. alsa-mixer sound volumes are
100 for master and PCM. I also tried with disabling "Auto-Mute Mod", but
still no sound.

When I reboot and in BIOS or GRUB press the key then the LED toggles state.

When I reboot into Linux 4.0.1 sound is working fine and loud speaker
disabled LED is toggled off, so I bet this is a regression 4.1-rc4 compared
to 4.0.1.

The following is from non-working 4.1-rc4 kernel:

merkaba:~> lspci -s 00:1b.0 -nnv
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 04)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:21cf]
Memory at f2520000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

merkaba:~> cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf2520000 irq 29
merkaba:~> cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.1.0-rc4-tp520-btrfstrim-
pstatetrace+.
merkaba:~> cat /proc/asound/devices
2: [ 0] : control
3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
5: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
6: [ 0- 7]: digital audio playback
7: [ 0- 8]: digital audio playback
8: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
9: [ 0- 1]: hardware dependent
10: [ 0- 3]: hardware dependent
33: : timer
merkaba:~>

merkaba:~> aplay -L
null
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
phonon
HDA Intel PCH mit Mixer
default:CARD=PCH
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Front speakers
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Hardware device with all software conversions

Ciao,

  Last update: 2015-05-20 16:41    [W:0.083 / U:0.140 seconds]