SubjectRe: Avoiding unnecessary jump relocations in gas?
On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 1:59 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> On 05/20/2015 01:53 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> Egads. Now I understand what that code is. I don't like the balign,
>> since this has nothing to do with alignment -- we're creating an array
>> of functions.
>
> Actually it does... we align to the beginning of each slot. If .balign
> could be something other than a power of 2 that would work, too.

When I see "align", I think that we want to align to a multiple of X
but we don't particularly care which multiple of X. Here we want a
specific address and any other address would be an error.

> I was mostly looking to minimize the amount of gas magic we rely on.
>
>> Can't we make it explicit?
>>
>> #define EARLY_IDT_HANDLER_STRIDE 9

>> .rept NUM_EXCEPTION_VECTORS
>> . = early_idt_handlers + i * EARLY_IDT_HANDLER_STRIDE
>> .if (EXCEPTION_ERRCODE_MASK >> i) & 1
>> ASM_NOP2
>> .else
>> pushl $0 # Dummy error code, to make stack frame uniform
>> .endif
>> pushl $i # 20(%esp) Vector number
>> jmp early_idt_handler
>> i = i + 1
>> .endr
>>
>> gas will error out if we try to move . backwards, so this should be safe.
>
> If that works too with all the versions of gas we care about, that would
> be fine (and I do appreciate the explicitness.) However, .[b]align is
> something that will have been well exercised in every version of gas, so
> I do feel slightly safer with it.

I have no idea how to easily test my approach on really old binutils
versions, but I'm reasonably confident that assigning to . is common.

--Andy

  Last update: 2015-05-21 00:01    [W:0.079 / U:0.568 seconds]