SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1
>>>>> "Austin" == Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@gmail.com> writes:

Austin> On 2015-04-29 14:54, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> On Apr 29, 2015 5:48 AM, "Harald Hoyer" <harald@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> * Being in the kernel closes a lot of races which can't be fixed with
>>> the current userspace solutions. For example, with kdbus, there is a
>>> way a client can disconnect from a bus, but do so only if no further
>>> messages present in its queue, which is crucial for implementing
>>> race-free "exit-on-idle" services
>>
>> This can be implemented in userspace.
>>
>> Client to dbus daemon: may I exit now?
>> Dbus daemon to client: yes (and no more messages) or no

Austin> Depending on how this is implemented, there would be a
Austin> potential issue if a message arrived for the client after the
Austin> daemon told it it could exit, but before it finished shutdown,
Austin> in which case the message might get lost.

What makes anyone think they can guarrantee that a message is even
received? I could see the daemon sending the message and the client
getting a segfault and dumping core. What then? How would kdbus
solve this type of "race" anyway?

Can anyone give a concrete example of one of the races that are closed
here? That's been one of the missing examples. And remember, there's
no perfection. Even in the kernel we just had a discussion about
missed/missing IPIs and lost processor interrupts, etc. Expecting
perfection is just asking for trouble.

That's why there are timeouts, retries and just giving up and throwing
an exception.

John

  Last update: 2015-04-30 01:01    [W:0.694 / U:0.012 seconds]