SubjectRe: [Patch v2 2/3] firmware: dmi_scan: add SBMIOS entry and DMI tables
Jean,

On 21.04.15 18:36, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi again Ivan,
>
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:19:46 +0300, Ivan Khoronzhuk wrote:
>> + bin_attr_DMI.size = dmi_len;
>> + bin_attr_DMI.private = dmi_table;
>> + ret = sysfs_create_bin_file(tables_kobj, &bin_attr_DMI);
>> + if (!ret)
>> + return 0;
> I just found that more work is needed here for the SMBIOS v3 entry
> point case. These entry points do not specify the exact length of the
> table, but only its maximum. The real world sample I have access to
> indeed specifies a maximum length of 6419 bytes, but the actual table
> only spans over 2373 bytes. It is properly terminated with a type 127
> DMI structure, so the kernel table parser ignores the garbage after it.
> The garbage is however exported to user-space above.
>
> I taught dmidecode to ignore the garbage, but there are two problem
> left here. First problem is a waste of memory. Minor issue I suppose,
> who cares about a few kilobytes these days.
>
> Second problem is a security problem. We are leaking the contents of
> physical memory to user-space. In my case it's filled with 0xffs so no
> big deal. But what if actual data happens to be stored there? It
> definitely shouldn't go to user-space.
>
> So dmi_len needs to be trimmed to the actual table size before the
> attribute above is created. I have an idea how this could be
> implemented easily, let me give it a try.
>
> Maybe we should trim the length for previous implementations, too.
> There is no reason to walk past a type 127 structure anyway, ever.

It can happen of-cause, I've also thought about that sometime ago,
but forget...).
I've sent the updated series already.
Let me know when your fix will be ready and I will re-base the
series if it has conflicts.

--
Regards,
Ivan Khoronzhuk

  Last update: 2015-04-21 18:41    [W:0.077 / U:0.248 seconds]