SubjectRe: sparc64: Build failure due to commit f1600e549b94 (sparc: Make sparc64 use scalable lib/iommu-common.c functions)
On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 12:50 -0400, David Miller wrote:
> From: Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net>
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 09:44:31 -0700
>
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:25:19PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> >> From: Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net>
> >> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:17:21 -0700

> >> Ironically this would not create a build failure for the architectures
> >> where this matters, because only powerpc has the like named percpu
> >> symbol.
> >>
> >> So it's not really meeting the stated objective in this case.
> >
> > Yes, that is correct; it can only find problems in non-architecture
> > code, and on the downside produces false positives and thus build errors
> > like this one.
> >
> > Which makes the fix a bit philosophical. Rename iommu_pool_hash in
> > iommu-common, or drop DEBUG_FORCE_WEAK_PER_CPU. I would rename
> > iommu_pool_hash, but that is just me. Ultimately, I don't really
> > care one way or another, as long as the problem gets fixed.
>
> If nightly builds of s390 and alpha, the two platforms where this
> matters, are being done as reported in this thread, then I really
> don't see the value in DEBUG_FORCE_WEAK_PER_CPU.

We do an s390 allmodconfig for every linux-next release:

http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/573/

And also for Linus' tree:

http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/568/

We don't have alpha allmodconfig enabled, though we could, but we do build the
defconfig:

http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/2499/
http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/2494/

So I think that should be sufficient to catch any percpus that are introduced
in generic code with the same name as s390/alpha variables.

> But I guess that's a more involved longer-term discussion and I guess
> I'll apply Sowmini's patches for now.

Yeah I guess it is. Thanks for merging the fix.

cheers

  Last update: 2015-04-21 04:21    [W:0.146 / U:1.116 seconds]