SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1
> It's used everywhere, on servers,
> embedded systems, desktops, you name it. All languages have bindings
> for it, and it's the underpinning of a modern Linux stack.

Since when? D-bus is some GUI depoendency. On my console-only servers, it's
not needed, and not installed:

# dpkg-query -s libdbus-1-3 dbus
dpkg-query: package 'libdbus-1-3' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'dbus' is not installed and no information is available
# dpkg-query -l \*dbus\*
dpkg-query: no packages found matching *dbus*

It's also not needed on a basic GUI system. Firefox complains about saving
preferences if it's not running, but runs just fine:

$ pgrep dbus
$ ps 6570 19644 25779 29487 29492
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
6570 ? Sl 1:48 iceweasel
19644 ? Sl 0:29 /usr/bin/vlc -I qt4
25779 ? Sl 0:16 rhythmbox
29487 ? Sl 0:00 /usr/bin/gnumeric
29492 ? Sl 0:01 /usr/bin/gimp
$

Richard Weinberger wrote:
> kdbus will be a major hard-dependency for every non-trivial userland.
> Like cgroups...

and

> We're all forced to use cgroups, systemd, udev unless we want to have busybox
> as userland. That's a fact.

My daily desktop also has
# CONFIG_CGROUPS is not set

And no systemd. Udev actually does something useful, so I have it on my
desktop, but I have machines with a static /dev instead.

  Last update: 2015-04-20 22:41    [W:0.065 / U:0.240 seconds]