SubjectRe: [GIT RFC PULL rcu/urgent] Prevent Kconfig from asking pointless questions
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:09:03 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:35:54AM -0500, Clark Williams wrote:

> > > I honestly do not remember what priority they were using, it is
> > > not in email, and I don't keep IRC logs that far back. Adding
> > > linux-rt-users@vger.kernel.org on CC.
> >
> > As I recall, we started out using fifo:1, but when you get heavy
> > workloads running at higher fifo priorities, we wanted to boost the rcu
> > worker threads over those workloads.
> >
> > Currently the irq threads default to fifo:50, so maybe a good
> > default choice for the rcu threads on RT is fifo:49. That of course
> > presumes rational behavior on the part of application developers.
> >
> > I seem to recall that you and I had a discussion about making this
> > value a runtime knob in /sys but that didn't go anywhere. Do we need to
> > crank that up again and just use the config as a default/starting
> > value? If so then we could just default to fifo:1 and let sysadmins
> > tweak the value to match up with the workload.
>
> The sysfs knob might be nice, but as far as I know nobody has been
> complaining about it.
>
> Besides, we already have the rcutree.kthread_prio= kernel-boot parameter.
> So how about if the Kconfig parameter selects either SCHED_OTHER
> (the default) or SCHED_FIFO:1, and then the boot parameter can be used
> to select other values.

Yeah, that will work.

> That said, if the lack of a sysfs knob has been causing real problems,
> let's make that happen.

I'll talk to the other RT-ers and get back to you on that. I suspect
most folks would like it just to not have to reboot while tuning, but
not sure it's worth the extra code.

Clark

  Last update: 2015-04-20 20:21    [W:0.086 / U:0.064 seconds]