    SubjectRe: smp_call_function_single lockups
    From
    On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Chris J Arges
    <chris.j.arges@canonical.com> wrote:

    > It is worthwhile to do a 'bisect' to see where on average it takes
    > longer to reproduce? Perhaps it will point to a relevant change, or it
    > may be completely useless.

    It's likely to be an exercise in futility. "git bisect" is realyl bad
    at "gray area" things, and when it's a question of "it takes hours or
    days to reproduce", it's almost certainly not worth it. Not unless
    there is some really clear cut-off that we can believably say "this
    causes it to get much slower". And in this case, I don't think it's
    that clear-cut. Judging by DaveJ's attempts at bisecting things, the
    timing just changes. And the differences might be due to entirely
    unrelated changes like cacheline alignment etc.

    So unless we find a real clear signature of the bug (I was hoping that
    the ISR bit would be that sign), I don't think trying to bisect it
    based on how quickly you can reproduce things is worthwhile.

    Linus

      Last update: 2015-04-02 20:01    [W:7.460 / U:0.008 seconds]