SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 04:14:34PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

> Greg> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:57:22AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> >> I agree. You've sent a pull request for an unfortunate design. I
> >> don't think that unfortunate design belongs in the kernel. If it says
> >> in userspace, then user programmers could potentially fix it some day.
>
> Greg> You might not like the design, but it is a valid design. Again, we
> Greg> don't refuse to support hardware that is designed badly. Or support
> Greg> protocols we don't necessarily like, that's not the job of a kernel or
> Greg> operating system.
>
> Greg> And here's Havoc's response as to why actually, this is a good design:
> Greg> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2015-April/016651.html
>
> This is an interesting discussion, and one thing that sticks out to me
> is the comments in the URL above talking about how clients are
> supposed to use a generic name to bind to a resource, but actually do
> a lookup to get the specific name, and then bind to THAT.
>
> So the security concerns raised by Andy do seem to make sense, in that
> either security needs to be the same across all names of a service, so
> that you don't have problems with varying levels once people have
> connected. In terms of the X11 analogy, if I have someone connect,
> and then I do 'xhost -' it removes all access. It's not dependent on
> whether I'm bound to a specific or general service.
>
> So the security aspect really needs to be that the most restrictive
> takes precedence, not the other way around.

But look at how dbus handles this, isn't this done in the correct way?

> And after having read a bunch of the docs, looked at the FAQ, etc;
> it's still no clearer to me what DBUS and KDBUS provides that's all so
> important or critical. Sure, it might be nice to have, but that's ok.

The first email I wrote here explains all of this, are those not valid
uses for such a service that the kernel can provide?

> So I think that's the steps people need to take, give concrete example
> of how DBUS is better than anything else out there and won't cause
> more problems down the line.

D-Bus has been around for over 10 years now, and was the result of many
failed attempts to do something much like this (COM, DCOM, CORBA, and a
few others). The developers involved had lots of experience in this
area, and created a solution that ended up working very well for the
problem domain. So well that all other competing technologies in that
area were obsoleted and abondonded and everyone has moved to D-Bus as it
solves the problems they have in a correct manner.

The reason nothing else has come along might just be because nothing
else _needs_ to come along, D-Bus solves the need.

So unless you see a technical reason why the proposed code is somehow
not correct, I don't understand your complaint.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2015-04-15 11:21    [W:1.042 / U:0.140 seconds]