SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 09:23:57PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > I agree. You've sent a pull request for an unfortunate design. I
> > don't think that unfortunate design belongs in the kernel. If it says
> > in userspace, then user programmers could potentially fix it some day.
>
> You might not like the design, but it is a valid design. Again, we
> don't refuse to support hardware that is designed badly. Or support
> protocols we don't necessarily like, that's not the job of a kernel or
> operating system.

Bullshit. The problem you seem to deliberately ignore is that once it's
in the kernel, it's impossible to eradicate. It's not just a crap design,
it's a crap design you are taking in as-is.

And no, "the sole consumer of that API knows better, so bend over" is not
a good idea. We have shitloads of examples when single-consumer APIs
turned into screaming horrors; taking that in over the objections to API
design, merely on "they do it that way, who the hell we are to say they
are wrong?" is insane.

  Last update: 2015-04-14 22:01    [W:0.342 / U:4.196 seconds]