lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2015]   [Apr]   [10]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: [PATCH] of: return NUMA_NO_NODE from fallback of_node_to_nid()
On 10.04.2015 01:58, Tanisha Aravamudan wrote:
> On 09.04.2015 [07:27:28 +0300], Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Nishanth Aravamudan
>> <nacc@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>>> On 08.04.2015 [20:04:04 +0300], Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote:
>>>> On 08.04.2015 19:59, Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote:
>>>>> Node 0 might be offline as well as any other numa node,
>>>>> in this case kernel cannot handle memory allocation and crashes.
>>>
>>> Isn't the bug that numa_node_id() returned an offline node? That
>>> shouldn't happen.
>>
>> Offline node 0 came from static-inline copy of that function from of.h
>> I've patched weak function for keeping consistency.
>
> Got it, that's not necessarily clear in the original commit message.

Sorry.

>
>>> #ifdef CONFIG_USE_PERCPU_NUMA_NODE_ID
>>> ...
>>> #ifndef numa_node_id
>>> /* Returns the number of the current Node. */
>>> static inline int numa_node_id(void)
>>> {
>>> return raw_cpu_read(numa_node);
>>> }
>>> #endif
>>> ...
>>> #else /* !CONFIG_USE_PERCPU_NUMA_NODE_ID */
>>>
>>> /* Returns the number of the current Node. */
>>> #ifndef numa_node_id
>>> static inline int numa_node_id(void)
>>> {
>>> return cpu_to_node(raw_smp_processor_id());
>>> }
>>> #endif
>>> ...
>>>
>>> So that's either the per-cpu numa_node value, right? Or the result of
>>> cpu_to_node on the current processor.
>>>
>>>> Example:
>>>>
>>>> [ 0.027133] ------------[ cut here ]------------
>>>> [ 0.027938] kernel BUG at include/linux/gfp.h:322!
>>>
>>> This is
>>>
>>> VM_BUG_ON(nid < 0 || nid >= MAX_NUMNODES || !node_online(nid));
>>>
>>> in
>>>
>>> alloc_pages_exact_node().
>>>
>>> And based on the trace below, that's
>>>
>>> __slab_alloc -> alloc
>>>
>>> alloc_pages_exact_node
>>> <- alloc_slab_page
>>> <- allocate_slab
>>> <- new_slab
>>> <- new_slab_objects
>>> < __slab_alloc?
>>>
>>> which is just passing the node value down, right? Which I think was
>>> from:
>>>
>>> domain = kzalloc_node(sizeof(*domain) + (sizeof(unsigned int) * size),
>>> GFP_KERNEL, of_node_to_nid(of_node));
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>>
>>> What platform is this on, looks to be x86? qemu emulation of a
>>> pathological topology? What was the topology?
>>
>> qemu x86_64, 2 cpu, 2 numa nodes, all memory in second.
>
> Ok, this worked before? That is, this is a regression?

Seems like that worked before 3.17 where
bug was exposed by commit 44767bfaaed782d6d635ecbb13f3980041e6f33e
(x86, irq: Enhance mp_register_ioapic() to support irqdomain)
this is first usage of *irq_domain_add*() in x86.

>
>> I've slightly patched it to allow that setup (in qemu hardcoded 1Mb
>> of memory connected to node 0) And i've found unrelated bug --
>> if numa node has less that 4Mb ram then kernel crashes even
>> earlier because numa code ignores that node
>> but buddy allocator still tries to use that pages.
>
> So this isn't an actually supported topology by qemu?

Qemu easily created memoryless numa nodes but node 0 have hardcoded 1Mb
of ram. This seems like legacy prop for DOS era software.

>
>>> Note that there is a ton of code that seems to assume node 0 is online.
>>> I started working on removing this assumption myself and it just led
>>> down a rathole (on power, we always have node 0 online, even if it is
>>> memoryless and cpuless, as a result).
>>>
>>> I am guessing this is just happening early in boot before the per-cpu
>>> areas are setup? That's why (I think) x86 has the early_cpu_to_node()
>>> function...
>>>
>>> Or do you not have CONFIG_OF set? So isn't the only change necessary to
>>> the include file, and it should just return first_online_node rather
>>> than 0?
>>>
>>> Ah and there's more of those node 0 assumptions :)
>>
>> That was x86 where is no CONFIG_OF at all.
>>
>> I don't know what's wrong with that machine but ACPI reports that
>> cpus and memory from node 0 as connected to node 1 and everything
>> seems worked fine until lates upgrade -- seems like buggy static-inline
>> of_node_to_nid was intoduced in 3.13 but x86 ioapic uses it during
>> early allocations only in since 3.17. Machine owner teells that 3.15
>> worked fine.
>
> So, this was a qemu emulation of this actual physical machine without a
> node 0?

Yep. Also I have crash from real machine but that stacktrace is messy
because CONFIG_DEBUG_VM wasn't enabled and kernel crashed inside
buddy allocator when tried to touch unallocated numa node structure.

>
> As I mentioned, there are lots of node 0 assumptions through the kernel.
> You might run into more issues at runtime.

I think it's possible to trigger kernel crash for any memoryless numa
node (not just for 0) if some device (like ioapic in my case) points to
it in its acpi tables. In runtime numa affinity configured by user
usually validated by the kernel, while numbers from firmware might be
used without proper validation.

Anyway seems like at least one x86 machines works fine without memory in
node 0.

--
Konstantin


\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2015-04-10 14:01    [W:0.062 / U:0.540 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site