SubjectRe: [x86/asm/entry] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request
On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>> Apparently, code which uses this still exists, here
>> (current git):
>>
>> restore_all:
>> TRACE_IRQS_IRET
>> restore_all_notrace:
>> #ifdef CONFIG_X86_ESPFIX32
>> movl PT_EFLAGS(%esp), %eax # mix EFLAGS, SS and CS
>> # Warning: PT_OLDSS(%esp) contains the wrong/random values if we
>> # are returning to the kernel.
>> # See comments in process.c:copy_thread() for details.
>> movb PT_OLDSS(%esp), %ah
>> movb PT_CS(%esp), %al
>> andl $(X86_EFLAGS_VM | (SEGMENT_TI_MASK << 8) | SEGMENT_RPL_MASK), %eax
>> cmpl $((SEGMENT_LDT << 8) | USER_RPL), %eax
>> CFI_REMEMBER_STATE
>> je ldt_ss # returning to user-space with LDT SS
>> #endif
>>
>> "restore_all_notrace" is used by nmi handler too.
>> If nmi happened right after sysenter, the stack will indeed
>> only have three words, SS,ESP,EFLAGS, PT_OLDSS(%esp)
>> would refer to a word above them.
>
> But if we're returning from nmi to userspace, then that nmi didn't hit
> early in sysenter.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to change the espfix code to check CS
> before reading SS so that, if we aren't returning to userspace, we
> don't read past the top of the stack?

I'm on it.

Because this code has really, really bad register stalls:

movl PT_EFLAGS(%esp), %eax # mix EFLAGS, SS and CS
movb PT_OLDSS(%esp), %ah
movb PT_CS(%esp), %al
andl $NUM, %eax
cmpl $NUM, %eax
je ldt_ss

2nd MOV will stall waiting for first one.
3rd one will stall waiting for second one.
AND will stall waiting for them.
CMP will stall waiting for AND.

All this just to have one branch instead of three? Gosh...
I'm preparing a patch which does this:

btl $X86_EFLAGS_VM_BIT,PT_EFLAGS(%esp)
jc restore_nocheck # VM set, not it
testb $3,PT_CS(%esp)
jz restore_nocheck # CPL0, not it
# Note: we access PT_OLDSS only when we know it exists.
# If PT_CS is from CPL0, this can be not true.
testb $SEGMENT_TI_MASK,PT_OLDSS(%esp)
jnz ldt_ss # returning to user-space with LDT SS

All three checks can run in parallel on an OOO CPU.
Most of the time, none of branches will be taken.

  Last update: 2015-03-09 15:01    [W:0.078 / U:0.044 seconds]