SubjectRe: [RFC 00/16] Introduce ZONE_CMA
On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 06:48:50PM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 03/05/2015 05:53 PM, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> > On 02/12/2015 08:32 AM, Joonsoo Kim wrote:
> >>
> >> 1) Break non-overlapped zone assumption
> >> CMA regions could be spread to all memory range, so, to keep all of them
> >> into one zone, span of ZONE_CMA would be overlap to other zones'.
> >
> > From patch 13/16 ut seems to me that indeed the ZONE_CMA spans the area of all
> > other zones. This seems very inefficient for e.g. compaction scanners, which
> > will repeatedly skip huge amounts of pageblocks that don't belong to ZONE_CMA.
> > Could you instead pick only a single zone on a node from which you steal the
> > pages? That would allow to keep the span low.

Hello, Vlastimil.

CMA is used for DMA now and it sometimes has memory range constraint
so we could not limit zone span as low. But, current implementatino
unnecessarilly set up ZONE_CMA's span from start_pfn of node to
end_pfn of node. I will change it to the range where we actually steal
pages. Maybe, most of usecase of CMA would use small, limited range of
memory so it doesn't impose critical performance problem on zone's pfn
iterator such as compaction scanners.

> > Another disadvantage I see is that to allocate from ZONE_CMA you will have now
> > to reclaim enough pages within the zone itself. I think think the cma allocation
>
> I don't think...
>
> > supports migrating pages from ZONE_CMA to the adjacent non-CMA zone, which would
> > be equivalent to migration from MIGRATE_CMA pageblocks to the rest of the zone?

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly.

cma allocation uses alloc_migrate_target() to get migration target
freepage and it doesn't impose any zone contraint so migrating pages
from ZONE_CMA to the adjacent non-CMA zone is possible. Am I
understading you question correctly? If I mis-understand, please let
me know.

Thanks.