SubjectRe: RFC: sysctl fixes
On 03/04/2015 05:48 PM, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 4. März 2015, 15:18:19 schrieb Marian Marinov:
>
> Hi Marian,
>
>> Hello,
>> we are running hundreds of containers and we got some valid requests
> >from customers that want to be able to change their container's
>> hostname using the sysctl command.
>>
>> The current implementation does not allow each UTS namespace to change
>> its own hostname.
>>
>> So we sponsored the development of fix for this issue.
>>
>> Please checkout the changes here:
>>
>> https://github.com/1HLtd/linux/compare/b24e2bdde4af656bb0679a101265ebb
>> 8f8735d3c...sysctl-hostname-fixes
>>
>> If this fix is acceptable I'll send the patches as it is common. But
>> first I want to know if you think this is the way to go.
> The description in http://lwn.net/Articles/531381/ does not work?

Stephan, the users can change the hostname of the container using the hostname command. I can also change their hostname
when I'm creating the containers.
However the customers need to be able to change the hostname of the machine using valid system command:

sysctl kernel.hostname=newhost
sysctl kernel.domainname=newdomain

Both of these commands try to talk to the kernel via the /proc filesystem. This is why we propose these fixes.
Without them, only the root on the host node can do this.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Marian