From: Roger Heflin [mailto:rogerheflin@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:31 AM
To: McKay, Luke
Cc: Andrey Utkin; Andrey Utkin; Stephen Hemminger; kernel-mentors@selenic.com; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; kernelnewbies
Subject: Re: Question on MSI support in PCI and PCI-E devices

I know from some data I have seen that between the Intel Sandy Bridge and Intel Ivy Bridge the same motherboards stopped delivering INTx reliably (int lost under load around 1x every 30 days, driver and
firmware has no method to recover from failure) We had to transition
to using MSI on some PCI cards that had this issue. Our issue was duplicated on a large number of different physical machines so if it was a hardware error is was a lot of different physical machines that had the defect.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:03 AM, McKay, Luke <Luke.McKay@aeroflex.com> wrote:
> I don't personally know of any PCI drivers that use polling instead of interrupts, since that would really mean the hardware is broke.
>
> Basically all you need to do is create a timer, and have it's callback set to your driver routine that can check the device status registers to determine if there is work to be done. The status register(s) would be the same indicators that should have generated an interrupt.
>
> Regards,
> Luke
>

> --
> Luke McKay
> Senior Engineer
> Cobham AvComm
> T : +1 (316) 529 5585

  Last update: 2015-03-04 18:41    [W:0.073 / U:0.144 seconds]