SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] RAS update for 3.20 (one more thing)
On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 11:13:16AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> This kind of vendor specific hard coding is really ugly:
>
> if (c->x86_vendor == X86_VENDOR_AMD && ret == NOTIFY_STOP)
> return;

Yeah, I raised the same concern but we already have a bunch of vendor
checks in mce.c anyway so one more shouldn't hurt.

> Instead we should fix the Intel side to do a proper decode
> as well - by the time mcelog is running it might be too
> late, attempting an intelligent printk is way better...
>
> So what would we need to make the Intel side just as good
> as the AMD side?

The only thing that needs to be done is actually code it, methinks.
Once that's done, we would finally carry ready and decoded information
through a tracepoint to userspace instead of the /dev/mcelog thing.

I'm afraid this won't happen quickly though so we probably would need
this fix for the interim while we're working on the decoding.

Both sides (AMD/Intel) would need to be taught to funnel the decoded
strings through a tracepoint - something which we've talked about in the
past but keeps getting pushed down the TODO list. :-\

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.

  Last update: 2015-02-09 12:21    [W:0.065 / U:0.028 seconds]