SubjectRe: [capabilities] Allow normal inheritance for a configurable set of capabilities
Quoting Mimi Zohar (zohar@linux.vnet.ibm.com):
> On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 18:08 +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Casey Schaufler (casey@schaufler-ca.com):
> > > I'm game to participate in such an effort. The POSIX scheme
> > > is workable, but given that it's 20 years old and hasn't
> > > developed real traction it's hard to call it successful.
> >
> > Over the years we've several times discussed possible reasons for this
> > and how to help. I personally think it's two things: 1. lack of
> > toolchain and fs support. The fact that we cannot to this day enable
> > ping using capabilities by default because of cpio, tar and non-xattr
> > filesystems is disheartening.
>
> We're working on resolving the CPIO issue.

Awesome, thanks for that :)

> tar currently supports
> xattrs.

yes, I guess what i was thinking of was a (recent) bug to do with one
of the longer term support older systems. Problem is people want to
run new releases in containers on older systems :)

Anyway when I said "over the years", the first was I believe in 2009/2010,
the last was in 2013 (at that LSS, when Ted mentioned it); so yeah things have
gotten better with respect to this.

But AFAIK we don't yet have any good ideas for tackling the second issue below.