SubjectRe: How to fix CDROM/DVD eject mess?
At Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:39:06 +0000,
One Thousand Gnomes wrote:

> > > It is no workaround, it's the SCSI spec. You only see events if you
> > > lock the door.
> >
> > Yeah, I do understand the reason behind it. But: why udev has to take
> > care of SCSI implementation details at this place at all? Isn't the
> > place for the generic cdrom device? If it's only for obtaining the
> > eject events, you're essentially working around the problem. Instead,
> > the kernel should have provided a saner way to enable the event
> > generation, IMO.
>
> You could take that to the SCSI and ATA committee's and then try and get
> them to agree and every vendor on the planet to make every crapware USB
> device implement it. Good luck.
>
> The kernel can provide only the lowest common denominator of service if
> it provides a single unified model. In CD space thats a *very low common
> denominator*

I meant the saner way ioctl implementation, not about something about
the new hardware control. Currently, the media lock ioctl is used as
a way to enable the event. So we can't handle the additional media
lock properly since the state is a bool in kernel. If it's a flag
with two bits (one for the media lock and one for the event
enablement), user-space doesn't need to track the state by itself, for
example.

Takashi

  Last update: 2015-02-03 15:01    [W:0.065 / U:0.040 seconds]