SubjectRe: live kernel upgrades (was: live kernel patching design)

* Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> wrote:

> [...] We could optimize the kernel the craziest way we
> can, but hardware takes its time to reinitialize. And in
> most cases, you'd really need to reinitalize it; [...]

If we want to reinitialize a device, most of the longer
initialization latencies during bootup these days involve
things like: 'poke hardware, see if there's any response'.
Those are mostly going away quickly with modern,
well-enumerated hardware interfaces.

Just try a modprobe of a random hardware driver - most
initialization sequences are very fast. (That's how people
are able to do cold bootups in less than 1 second.)

In theory this could also be optimized: we could avoid the
reinitialization step through an upgrade via relatively
simple means, for example if drivers define their own
version and the new kernel's driver checks whether the
previous state is from a compatible driver. Then the new
driver could do a shorter initialization sequence.

But I'd only do it only in special cases, where for some
reason the initialization sequence takes longer time and it
makes sense to share hardware discovery information between
two versions of the driver. I'm not convinced such a
mechanism is necessary in the general case.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2015-02-24 12:01    [W:0.070 / U:0.176 seconds]