SubjectRe: piping core dump to a program escapes container
On 12/09/2015 04:34 PM, Bruno Prémont wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 21:29:13 -0600 Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> Dongsheng Yang <yangds.fnst@cn.fujitsu.com> writes:

>> From a container perspective it is perhaps counter intuitive from
>> the perspective of the operator of the machine nothing works specially
>> about core_pattern and it works as designed with no unusual danages.

>>> In addition, is that a good idea to make core_pattern to be seperated
>>> in different namespace?
>>
>> The behavior was the best we could do at the time last time this issue
>> was examined. There is enough information available to be able to
>> write a core dumping program that can reliably place your core dumps
>> in your container.
>>
>> There has not yet been an obvious namespace in which to stick
>> core_pattern, and even worse exactly how to appropriate launch a process
>> in a container has not been figured out.
>>
>> If those tricky problems can be solved we can have a core_pattern in a
>> container. What we have now is the best we have been able to figure out
>> so far.
>
> Isn't the second option dangerous if its run in global namespace and
> settable from some other namespace/container?
>
> If a process inside a container can set /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
> then it could e.g. set it to
> echo "|/bin/rm -rf / /tmp/cores/ %e %p " > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
> and kill the host (eventually itself included).
> Other command lines could do different bad things.

Yes, if you don't give a privileged to container, that's read-only
to them. But if you give containers privilege, that true as you said.
But that's similar with if you give a privilege to any of process
running in the machine. So I think it's not a problem.

Yang

> Something that would sound reasonable is to have the core dumping
> helper process run under the namespaces the process which wrote to
> /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern had.
> When some of those namespaces are gone, falling back to the namespaces
> of the process for which core is to be dumped might seem reasonable
> (or just not dumping core at all as is done when core_pipe_limit is
> exceeded).
>
> The value of core_pattern (and other core_* sysctls) should probably belong
> to the mount namespace the proc filesystem used for setting its value
> was in - or the matching namespace of calling process when set via syscall.
>
> Bruno
>

> .

  Last update: 2015-12-10 02:01    [W:0.070 / U:0.328 seconds]