SubjectRe: Reorganize perf kernel side

* Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> so I've had my eyes on this for a long time now and it has managed to
> get on my nerves just enough to do something about it :-)
>
> So how about moving perf stuff to arch/x86/perf/ and get rid of the
> prefixes in the filenames. This also flattens our folder structure which
> is a good thing and which we've been talking about in the past.
>
> In order to diminish churn, I can do the whole thing in 4-5 patches'
> sets, after having run enough *config smoke tests and 0day bot too.
> Anyway, something like that.
>
> perf_event_<vendor>_<type>.c
>
> can then move to arch/x86/perf/<vendor>/type.c
>
> and have much saner structure.
>
> Thoughts?

Yeah, it would be lovely if you could do that - but could we please name it
'events' instead of 'perf', to follow the existing namespace pattern we are using
for the core bits, where we have kernel/events/ for the core bits, not
kernel/perf/?

Also, how about naming the core x86 bits like this:

arch/x86/events/core.c

which would give us a clear path to split-out core functionality eventually, such
as:

arch/x86/events/sched.c
arch/x86/events/constraints.c
...etc...

Just like we've already split out functionality from kernel/events/core.c into
kernel/events/ring_buffer.c.

Btw., kernel/sched/ is using a similar approach, there's core.c, and various
split-out sub-modules. We are slowly migrating from the original humunguous
kernel/sched.c to a more finegrained kernel/sched/subsys.c structure.

... and as you suggested, the x86 vendor dependent bits would be in their own, but
easily accessible directory close to the core, as you suggested:

arch/x86/events/intel/
arch/x86/events/amd/

as a lot of work is happening in that space, so promoting it up in the namespace
helps.

So, as an example, we'd have renames like this:

arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_intel_uncore_nhmex.c
=> arch/x86/events/intel/uncore_nhmex.c

which will be 30% easier to type! Once our muscle memory has re-trained that is. ;-)

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2015-12-06 11:21    [W:0.059 / U:0.404 seconds]