SubjectRe: 4.4-rc5 Setting hardware breakpoint in int_ret_from_sys_call causes triple fault/reboot
From
On 12/16/15, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You're probably encountering the user mode RSP when SYSRET happens.
>>>
>>> --Andy
>>>

>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> Could be, but I am getting a double fault message with an error code
>> of 0 that then scrolls off the screen when the triple fault hits. It
>> flashes too quickly to get the function address -- wish I had a logic
>> analyzer with an inverse assembler -- would already be there. A
>> usermode RSP would I assume clear TRAP flag and that does not explain
>> why it works if I set a breakpoint right above the instruction then
>> step over it, which I can without the triple fault.
>>
>> Easy to reproduce, download the mdb debugger for 4.3.3 and apply it to
>> 4.4-rc5, modprobe mdb, echo a > /proc/sysrq_trigger, u
>> int_ret_from_syscall (scroll til you get to the swapgs then rex64
>> sysret, set a hardware breakpoint at that address , i.e. b
>> ffffffff81673ae1 (or whatever address the swapgs instruction is at),
>> then step through with t a few times (should just return after rex64
>> sysret since it returns to user space). The set a breakpoint at the
>> rex64 sysret instruction, b <address>, let it break at the
>> instruction, then hit g for go and watch the fireworks -- it will try
>> to print a double fault message then reboot.
>>
>> I handle the whole user RSP thing, I just return if I see regs set to
>> user space. This looks like some sort of problem in the exception
>> handlers.
>
> It's kernel regs but user RSP.
>
> --Andy

right, I handle that case and I have handled that case since about
2001. Used to before all the change I could just step from userspace
to kernel space with mdb. Have not been able to do that for while
since Linus fixed the VM in about 2002.

So I handle that case.

Jeff

  Last update: 2015-12-17 02:01    [W:0.048 / U:0.096 seconds]