SubjectRe: pty: fix use after free/oops at pty_unix98_shutdown
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 09:28:28AM -0800, Peter Hurley wrote:

> >> This logic I'm not following. If the pty master is being released, then the inode
> >> is valid for the release() operation in-progress.
> >
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > yes, you're right if you are eg. closing the /dev/ptmx or /dev/pts/ptmx file
> > previously opened. But I thought and refer above to the case where for example
> > you are closing /dev/tty and that's the final close and there is no other
> > process in the system with the /dev/{,*/}ptmx opened, the inode which referenced
> > the previously opened ptmx could be gone. It would be rare though since in a
> > running system any logged in user eg. through ssh or with a terminal open in X
> > will have at least a ptmx device opened.
>
> /dev/tty can never be an alias for /dev/ptmx in Linux: a master pty cannot be
> a controlling terminal. So if the master pty is being released it will always be
> with the /dev/ptmx inode.

Indeed, pty_unix98_shutdown in case of /dev/tty close will be called with slave
pty tty_struct. Sorry about my previous confusing/wrong statement. My concern is
only valid in case final /dev/tty close used the ptmx inode instead of slave_inode
created at ptmx_open, which was not the case before/with current code, but is
the case when applying my patch, thus I grab the reference to the inode.

--
[]'s
Herton

  Last update: 2015-12-15 19:01    [W:0.059 / U:0.488 seconds]