SubjectRe: README Cleanup Project
From
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 3:35 AM, Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 02:46:30AM -0200, Diego Viola wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I would like to do some cleanup on the README, for example, I see it
>>> still mentions LILO in a few places, e.g.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/README#L256-L258
>>>
>>> And:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/README#L295-L317
>>>
>>> Is this still relevant today? Can I send a patch to remove it from the
>>> README? Any objections?
>>
>> What for? LILO still works just fine here, TYVM.
>>

> I know LILO still works fine, and I know the project is still alive.

Wait, I'm actually not sure about my statement above, looks like the
project is dead:

"NOTE: I will finish development of LILO at December 2015 because of
some limitations (e.g. with BTFS, GPT, RAID). If someone want to
develop this nice software further, please let me know ..."

http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/

>>> Could you guys also help me identify other parts in the README that
>>> are not relevant anymore today?
>>>
>>> I understand some people still use LILO but most don't anymore, so I
>>> would like to help keep the README updated to reflect on what the
>>> current standards and needs are.
>>
>> _What_ current standards?
>
> Perhaps not "standards" but there are other bootloaders these days,
> GRUB and systemd-boot being one of them.
>
> Shouldn't the README be generic or neutral about bootloaders?
>
> See this message from Jonathan Corbet where he gave his opinion on this:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/12/10/602
>
> Thanks,
>
> Diego

  Last update: 2015-12-12 07:41    [W:0.059 / U:0.100 seconds]