SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] perf report: Support folded callchain output (v2)
Hi Arnaldo,

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 06:30:21PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 12:37:28PM -0800, Brendan Gregg escreveu:
> > G'Day Namhyung,
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 4:57 AM, Namhyung Kim <namhyung@kernel.org> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > This is what Brendan requested on the perf-users mailing list [1] to
> > > support FlameGraphs [2] more efficiently. This patchset adds a few
> > > more callchain options to adjust the output for it.
> > >
> > > At first, 'folded' output mode was added. The folded output puts all
> > > calchain nodes in a line separated by semicolons, a space and the
> > > value. Now it only supports --stdio as other UI provides some way of
> > > folding/expanding callchains dynamically.
> > >
> > > The value is now can be one of 'percent', 'period', or 'count'. The
> > > percent is current default output and the period is the raw number of
> > > sample periods. The count is the number of samples for each callchain.
> > >
> > > Here's an example:
> > >
> > > $ perf report --no-children --show-nr-samples --stdio -g folded,count
> > > 39.93% 80 swapper [kernel.vmlinux] [k] intel_idel
> > > intel_idle;cpuidle_enter_state;cpuidle_enter;call_cpuidle;cpu_startup_entry;start_secondary 57
> > > intel_idle;cpuidle_enter_state;cpuidle_enter;call_cpuidle;cpu_startup_entry;rest_init;... 23
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > So for the folded output I don't need the summary line (the row of
> > columns printed by hist_entry__snprintf()), and don't need anything
> > except folded stacks and the counts. If working with the existing
> > stdio interface is making it harder than it needs to be, might it be
>
> I don't think it so, just add some flag asking for that
> hist_entry__snprintf() to be supressed, ideas for a long option name?
>
> Having it as Namhyung did may have value for some people as a more
> compact way to show the callchains together with the hist_entry line.

Yeah, I'd keep the hist entry line unless it's too hard to
parse/filter. IMHO it's just a way to show callchains, so no need to
have separate output mode..

Brendan, I guess you still need to know other info like cpu or pid, no?

And I feel like it'd be better to put the count before the callchains
for consistency like below. Is it OK to you?

$ perf report --no-children --show-nr-samples --stdio -g folded,count
39.93% 80 swapper [kernel.vmlinux] [k] intel_idel
57 intel_idle;cpuidle_enter_state;cpuidle_enter;call_cpuidle;cpu_startup_entry;start_secondary
23 intel_idle;cpuidle_enter_state;cpuidle_enter;call_cpuidle;cpu_startup_entry;rest_init;...

> With this in mind, do you have any other issues with Namhyung's
> patchkit? An acked-by/tested-by you would be nice to have, and then we
> could work out the new option to suppress that hist_entry__snprintf()
> in a follow up patch.
>
> > easier to make it a separate interface (ui/folded), that just emitted
> > the folded output? Just an idea. This existing patchset is working for
> > me, I'd just be filtering the output.
> >
> > Having the option for percentages and periods is nice. I can envisage
> > using periods (for latency flame graphs).

Glad to see you like it. :)

Thanks,
Namhyung

  Last update: 2015-11-02 23:41    [W:0.051 / U:0.052 seconds]