SubjectRe: [GIT] Networking
On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@kernel.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Getting overflow checking right in more complicated cases is a PITA.
>>
>> No it is not. Not for unsigned values.
>
> Just to clarify. The "oevrflow" test for unsigned subtracts of "a-b"
> (it's really an underflow, but whatever) really is just
>
> (b > a)
>
> Really. That's it. Claiming that that is "complicated" and needs a
> helper function is not something sane people do. A fifth-grader that
> isn't good at math can understand that.
>
> In contrast, nobody sane understands "usub_overflow(a, b, &res)".
>
> So really. Stop making inane arguments.

I'll stop making inane arguments if you stop bashing arguments I
didn't make. :) I said the helpers were useful for multiplication (by
which I meant both signed and unsigned) and, to a lesser extent, for
signed addition and subtraction.

I don't believe I even tried to justify usub_overflow as anything
other than an extremely minor optimization that probably isn't
worthwhile.

--Andy, who still has inline asm that does 'cmovo' and such in his
code for work, sigh.

  Last update: 2015-11-02 22:41    [W:0.066 / U:0.228 seconds]