SubjectRe: [Intel-gfx] [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated Graphics Passthrough Solution from Intel
Hi Alex,
On 11/19/2015 12:06 PM, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

Hi Alex, thanks for the discussion.

In addition to Kevin's replies, I have a high-level question: can VFIO
be used by QEMU for both KVM and Xen?

--
Thanks,
Jike

> [...]
>> framebuffer region could be directly mappable in QEMU while a
>> non-mappable page, at a standard location with standardized format,
>> provides a description of framebuffer and potentially even a
>> communication channel to synchronize framebuffer captures. This would
>> be new code for QEMU, but something we could share among all vGPU
>> implementations.
>
> Now GVT-g already provides an interface to decode framebuffer information,
> w/ an assumption that the framebuffer will be further composited into
> OpenGL APIs. So the format is defined according to OpenGL definition.
> Does that meet SPICE requirement?
>
> Another thing to be added. Framebuffers are frequently switched in
> reality. So either Qemu needs to poll or a notification mechanism is required.
> And since it's dynamic, having framebuffer page directly exposed in the
> new region might be tricky. We can just expose framebuffer information
> (including base, format, etc.) and let Qemu to map separately out of VFIO
> interface.
>
> And... this works fine with vGPU model since software knows all the
> detail about framebuffer. However in pass-through case, who do you expect
> to provide that information? Is it OK to introduce vGPU specific APIs in
> VFIO?
>

>> Another obvious area to be standardized would be how to discover,
>> create, and destroy vGPU instances. SR-IOV has a standard mechanism to
>> create VFs in sysfs and I would propose that vGPU vendors try to
>> standardize on similar interfaces to enable libvirt to easily discover
>> the vGPU capabilities of a given GPU and manage the lifecycle of a vGPU
>> instance.
>
> Now there is no standard. We expose vGPU life-cycle mgmt. APIs through
> sysfs (under i915 node), which is very Intel specific. In reality different
> vendors have quite different capabilities for their own vGPUs, so not sure
> how standard we can define such a mechanism. But this code should be
> minor to be maintained in libvirt.
>

>> This is obviously a lot to digest, but I'd certainly be interested in
>> hearing feedback on this proposal as well as try to clarify anything
>> I've left out or misrepresented above. Another benefit to this
>> mechanism is that direct GPU assignment and vGPU assignment use the same
>> code within QEMU and same API to the kernel, which should make debugging
>> and code support between the two easier. I'd really like to start a
>> discussion around this proposal, and of course the first open source
>> implementation of this sort of model will really help to drive the
>> direction it takes. Thanks!
>>

> Thanks for starting this discussion. Intel will definitely work with
> community on this work. Based on earlier comments, I'm not sure
> whether we can exactly same code for direct GPU assignment and
> vGPU assignment, since even we extend VFIO some interfaces might
> be vGPU specific. Does this way still achieve your end goal?

  Last update: 2015-11-19 08:41    [W:0.219 / U:3.856 seconds]