SubjectRe: spi: OF module autoloading is still broken (was: Re: m25p80: Commit "allow arbitrary OF matching for "jedec,spi-nor"" breaks module autoloading)
On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 11:40:31AM -0800, Brian Norris wrote:

> (Changing subject line, because apparently some people ignore mail if it
> doesn't have 'SPI' in the subject line)

Well, if you mean me I'm getting CCed on such a large number of large
threads about MTD patches that only have relevance to SPI in that
they're for a driver that uses SPI that I pretty delete a very large
proportion of mail that looks like it's about MTD patch unread I'm
afraid. It's almost all completely irrelevant and uninteresting to me.

> > Is this [1] getting fixed in SPI any time soon? Looks like there was
> > some progress [2], but AFAICT it's not completed.

Please include human readable descriptions of things like commits IDs
and issues being discussed in e-mail in your mails, this makes them much
easier for humans to read especially when they have no internet access.
I do frequently catch up on my mail on flights or while otherwise
travelling so this is even more pressing for me than just being about
making things a bit easier to read.

> > I'd just like to know what the way forward here should be for m25p80.
> > Really, "jedec,spi-nor" never autoloaded modules very reliably because
> > of the SPI core constaints. So I'm not sure I'd consider this a
> > regression, and I might be OK waiting around if it'll be fixed in a
> > reasonable time frame.

Someone will need to tell me what the actual problem is for m25p80
before I can understand what the way forward might be. From a brief
scan through of the thread it looks like if Javier's series solves the
problem it needs a bit more analysis and/or a clearer presentation and
probably a resubmit.

  Last update: 2015-11-13 23:21    [W:0.080 / U:1.056 seconds]