SubjectRe: fs: out of bounds on stack in iov_iter_advance
From
 > BTW, could you put the current state of the docs someplace public?

The documentation will eventually end up in
Documentation/filesystems/orangefs.txt.

This part about the creation of the shared memory between userspace and
the kernel module seems complete and accurate to me so far. This "bufmap"
data structure is central to the protocol between userspace and the kernel
module. This describes the creation of the bufmap, details on how it is used
in exchanges is what I am working on now...

Orangefs is a user space filesystem and an associated kernel module.
We'll just refer to the user space part of Orangefs as "userspace"
from here on out...

The kernel module implements a pseudo device that userspace
can read from and write to. Userspace can also manipulate the
kernel module through the pseudo device with ioctl.

At startup userspace allocates two page-size-aligned (posix_memalign)
mlocked memory blocks, one is used for IO and one is used for readdir
operations. The IO block is 41943040 bytes and the readdir block is
4194304 bytes. Each block contains logical chunks, and a pointer to each
block is added to its own PVFS_dev_map_desc structure which also describes
its total size, as well as the size and number of the logical chunks.

A pointer to the IO block's PVFS_dev_map_desc structure is sent to a
mapping routine in the kernel module with an ioctl. The structure is
copied from user space to kernel space with copy_from_user and is used
to initialize the kernel module's "bufmap" (struct pvfs2_bufmap), which
then contains:

* refcnt - a reference counter
* desc_size - PVFS2_BUFMAP_DEFAULT_DESC_SIZE (4194304) the IO block's
logical chunk size, which represents the filesystem's block size and
is used for s_blocksize in super blocks.
* desc_count - PVFS2_BUFMAP_DEFAULT_DESC_COUNT (10) the number of
logical chunks in the IO block.
* desc_shift - log2(desc_size), used for s_blocksize_bits in super blocks.
* total_size - the total size of the IO block.
* page_count - the number of 4096 byte pages in the IO block.
* page_array - a pointer to page_count * (sizeof(struct page*)) bytes
of kcalloced memory. This memory is used as an array of pointers
to each of the pages in the IO block through a call to get_user_pages.
* desc_array - a pointer to desc_count * (sizeof(struct pvfs_bufmap_desc))
bytes of kcalloced memory. This memory is further intialized:

user_desc is the kernel's copy of the IO block's PVFS_dev_map_desc
structure. user_desc->ptr points to the IO block.

pages_per_desc = bufmap->desc_size / PAGE_SIZE
offset = 0

bufmap->desc_array[0].page_array = &bufmap->page_array[offset]
bufmap->desc_array[0].array_count = pages_per_desc = 1024
bufmap->desc_array[0].uaddr = (user_desc->ptr) + (0 * 1024 * 4096)
offset += 1024
.
.
.
bufmap->desc_array[9].page_array = &bufmap->page_array[offset]
bufmap->desc_array[9].array_count = pages_per_desc = 1024
bufmap->desc_array[9].uaddr = (user_desc->ptr) +
(9 * 1024 * 4096)
offset += 1024

* buffer_index_array - a desc_count sized array of ints, used to
indicate which of the IO block's chunks are available to use.
* buffer_index_lock - a spinlock to protect buffer_index_array during update.
* readdir_index_array - a five (PVFS2_READDIR_DEFAULT_DESC_COUNT) element
int array used to indicate which of the readdir block's chunks are
available to use.
* readdir_index_lock - a spinlock to protect readdir_index_array during
update.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:25:17AM -0500, Mike Marshall wrote:
>> I'm the Orangefs guy...
>>
>> If the orangefs warnings that people see because of what's in
>> linux-next is annoying, I could focus on quieting them down...
>
> See the fixup just posted in this thread.
>
>> We've been focusing on code review and documentation ever
>> since our last big exchange with Al and Linus...
>
> BTW, could you put the current state of the docs someplace public?

  Last update: 2015-11-11 18:21    [W:0.106 / U:0.212 seconds]