SubjectRe: Next round: revised futex(2) man page for review
On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 10:34:19AM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On 08/19/2015 03:40 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> >> The second clause is inappropriate. I don't know if that was yours or
> >> mine, but non-PI futexes do not have a kernel defined value policy, so
> >> ==FUTEX_WAITERS cannot be a "permissible state" as any value is
> >> permissible for non-PI futexes, and none have a kernel defined state.
> >
> > Depends. If the regular futex is configured as robust, then we have a
> > kernel defined value policy as well.

Right.

> Okay -- so do we need a change to the text here?

Hrm. We probably need a way to indicate that kernel-defined futex word
value policy only applies to PI and or ROBUST futexes.

> >> Userspace should see the task wake and continue executing. This would
> >> effectively be a cancelation operation - which I didn't think was
> >> supported. Thomas?
> >
> > We probably never intended to support it, but looking at the code it
> > works (did not try it though). It returns to user space with
> > -EWOULDBLOCK. So it basically behaves like any other spurious wakeup.
>
> Again, I assume no changes are required to the man page(?).

I'd rather not document this as supported or intended behavior.
FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI is documented as being paired with and only with
FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI. Anything else is undefined behavior.

If we want to support a cancelation, it should be deliberate - and we should
probably test it ;-)

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center

  Last update: 2015-10-08 17:01    [W:0.162 / U:0.516 seconds]