SubjectRe: [RFC v2 07/18] kthread: Allow to cancel kthread work
On Fri 2015-10-02 15:24:53, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 05:43:36PM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> > IMHO, we need both locks. The worker manipulates more works and
> > need its own lock. We need work-specific lock because the work
> > might be assigned to different workers and we need to be sure
> > that the operations are really serialized, e.g. queuing.
>
> I don't think we need per-work lock. Do we have such usage in kernel
> at all? If you're worried, let the first queueing record the worker
> and trigger warning if someone tries to queue it anywhere else. This
> doesn't need to be full-on general like workqueue. Let's make
> reasonable trade-offs where possible.

I actually thought about this simplification as well. But then I am
in doubts about the API. It would make sense to assign the worker
when the work is being initialized and avoid the duplicate information
when the work is being queued:

init_kthread_work(work, fn, worker);
queue_work(work);

Or would you prefer to keep the API similar to workqueues even when
it makes less sense here?

In each case, we need a way to switch the worker if the old one
is destroyed and a new one is started later. We would need
something like:

reset_work(work, worker)
or
reinit_work(work, fn, worker)

Thanks for feedback.

Best Regards,
Petr

  Last update: 2015-10-05 12:21    [W:0.431 / U:0.208 seconds]