    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL 0/6] perf/ebpf basic integration
    Em Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 01:17:32PM +0100, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
    > * Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@kernel.org> wrote:
    > > Please take a look at the changeset comments, I made notes in most of
    > > them, this seems like a nice cutoff point to allow basic testing, by
    > > developers, for the very basic integration of perf and ebpf, i.e. we can,
    > > having a ready built object file, built with clang, be able to use it as a perf
    > > event, passing it via -e/--event, etc.

    > > Wang has lots more in the queue and I intend to work on them till I get
    > > all reviewed/tested/merged, i.e. in the immediate future.

    > > What do you think? Fair to get his smaller gulp now? Or do you want to
    > > get it all the way with the code to get a .c file, build it, etc, that is
    > > ready, but I haven't reviewed/tested yet?

    > > Ah, this is on top of what I sent to you via perf/core yesterday.

    > I'm fine with this, as long as this bit:

    > > More work is about to be reviewed, tested and merged that will allow the whole
    > > process of going from a .c file to an .o file via clang, etc to be done
    > > automagically. (Wang Nan)

    > ... is treated as the primary interface. Very few people will use object files, so
    > we need to integrate the whole life-time workflow, from instrumentation source
    > code to perf output.

    Sure, I'm doing the review/test now, but at the same time, stressing
    that you _can_ shortcut all that and, having a suitable .o file, use all
    the other perf features with it is also cool and something worth
    pointing out.

    To _have to_ produce a .o to use this is, of course, bad and shortly
    will be done completely automatically in as a streamlined way as we can
    conceive.

    - Arnaldo

      Last update: 2015-10-29 14:41    [W:4.566 / U:1.200 seconds]