SubjectRe: console vs earlycon ?
From
Hi Arnd,

> On Wednesday 21 October 2015 18:09:33 Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>> Hi Arnd,

>> > I would still do both. We don't enable earlycon by default at the moment,
>> > and I'd say things should remain working with just console_initcall().
>> >
>> > How closely related to 8250 is your hardware? If it's not all that different,
>> > you should probably reuse the existing driver.
>>

>> Very close.
>> It is already in the mainline.
>>
>> drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_uniphier.c
>>
>> The core parts are shared with 8250_core.c
>
> Ok, but I guess no close enough that it makes sense to use drivers/serial/of_serial.c

Right.

>> I am trying to implement OF_EARLYCON_DECLARE() for that.
>>
>> I was just wondering if console_initcall() should work as well.
>>

>> As I said, I noticed the console_initcall() in 8250_core.c
>> only works on very limited platforms.
>
> It works with all those that use of_serial.c, right?

I doubt it.

I have a board with a pure 8250-compat device working.
( compatible = "ns16550a")
It uses of_serial.c, of course.

As far as I tested, it would never enable the console at console_init().

The console is enabled when the UART driver is probed.
(or earlycon if "earlycon" is specified in the kernel-parameter.)

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

  Last update: 2015-10-21 12:01    [W:0.068 / U:1.400 seconds]