SubjectRe: v5 of seccomp filter c/r patches
On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org> wrote:

>>> Hi, sorry I've been slow/busy. I'm finally reading through these threads.
>>>
>>> Happy bit:
>>> - avoiding eBPF and just saving the original filters makes things much easier.
>>>
>>> Sad bit:
>>> - inventing a new interface for seccompfds feels like massive overkill to me.
>>>
>>> While Andy has big dreams, we're not presently doing seccompfd
>>> monitoring, etc. There's no driving user for that kind of interface,
>>> and accepting the maintenance burden of it only for CRIU seems unwise.
>>>
>>> So, I'll go back to what I originally proposed at LSS (which it looks
>>> like we're half way there now):
>>>
>>> - save the original filter (done!)
>>> - extract filters through a single special-purpose interface (looks
>>> like ptrace is the way to go: root-only, stopped process, etc)
>>> - compare filter content and issue TSYNCs to merge detected sibling
>>> threads, since merging things that weren't merged before creates no
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> This means the parenting logic is heuristic, but it's entirely in
>>> userspace, so the complexity burden doesn't live in seccomp which we,
>>> by design, want to keep as simple as possible.
>>
>> This is okay with me with a future-proofing caveat: I think that
>> whatever reads out the filter should be clearly documented as
>> returning some special error code that indicates that that filter it
>> tried to read wasn't in the expected form. That would happen for
>> native eBPF filters, and it would also happen for seccomp monitors
>> even if those monitors use classic BPF.
>
> As in, it should have something like "give me BPF" and that'll start
> failing when it's only eBPF in the future?

Yes, but it might also start failing when if my dreams come true, it's
still classic BPF, but it's no longer a classic seccomp bpf filter
layer with the semantics we expect today. (E.g. if it's classic bpf
but has a monitor attached, then the read should fail because
restoring it without restoring the monitor will cause all kinds of
mess.)

--Andy

  Last update: 2015-10-03 00:21    [W:0.048 / U:0.152 seconds]