SubjectRe: [RFC v2 0/6] Managing cluser-level c-states with generic power domains
Hi Marc,

I am trying to apply this on top of Axel's patches on linux-next (after
fixing issues I saw with his v9), and running to issues applying your
patches. Could you rebase on top of his v10 (he said he would send to
the ML soon) ?

Thanks,
Lina

On Tue, Oct 06 2015 at 08:27 -0600, Marc Titinger wrote:
>v2:
> - rebase on Lina Iyer's latest series
> - remove unnecessary dependency on perf-state patches from Axel Haslam
>
>-----------------------
>
>Summary
>
>1) DESCRIPTION
>2) DEPENDENCIES
>3) URL
>------------------------
>

>1) DESCRIPTION
>

> This patch set's underlying idea is that cluster-level c-states can be managed
>by the power domain, building upon Lina Iyers recent work on CPU-domain, and Axel Haslam's
>genpd multiple states. The power domain may contain CPU devices and non-CPU devices.
>
>Non-CPU Devices may expose latency constraints by registering intermediate power-states upon
>probing, for instance shallower states than the deepest cluster-off state. The generic
>power domain governor may chose a device retention state in place of the cluster-sleep
>state demanded by the menu governor, and call the platform specific handling to enter/leave
>that retention state.
>

>power-states
>-----------
>

>The proposed way how cluster-level c-states are declared as manageable by the
>power domain, rather than through the cpuidle-ops, relies on the introduction of
>"power-states", consistent with c-states. Here is an example of the DT bindings,
>the c-state CLUSTER_SLEEP_0 is exposed as a power-state in the compatible property:
>
>juno.dts: idle-states {
> entry-method = "arm,psci";
>
> CPU_SLEEP_0: cpu-sleep-0 {
> compatible = "arm,idle-state";
> arm,psci-suspend-param = <0x0010000>;
> local-timer-stop;
> entry-latency-us = <100>;
> exit-latency-us = <250>;
> min-residency-us = <2000>;
> };
>
> CLUSTER_SLEEP_0: cluster-sleep-0 {
> compatible = "arm,power-state";
> arm,psci-suspend-param = <0x1010000>;
> local-timer-stop;
> entry-latency-us = <800>;
> exit-latency-us = <700>;
> min-residency-us = <2500>;
> };
> }
>
>This will tell cpuidle runtime_put/get the CPU devices for this c-state. Eventually, the
>actual platform handlers may be called from the genpd platform ops (in place of cpuidle_ops).
>
>"drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle-arm.c":
>
>static const struct of_device_id arm_idle_state_match[] __initconst = {
> {.compatible = "arm,idle-state",
> .data = arm_enter_idle_state},
> {.compatible = "arm,power-state",
> .data = arm_enter_power_state},
>};
>

>In case of a power-state, arm_enter_power_state will only call pm_runtime_put/get_sync
>The power doamin will handle the power off, currently this patch set lacks the final
>call to the psci interface to have a fully fonctionnal setup
> [...]

  Last update: 2015-10-19 23:21    [W:0.159 / U:0.764 seconds]