    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] On-demand device probing
    On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 08:29:31PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
    > On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:57:50PM -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
    >
    > > I can't see adding calls like this all over the tree just to solve a
    > > bus-specific problem, you are adding of_* calls where they aren't
    > > needed, or wanted, at all.
    >
    > This isn't bus specific, I'm not sure what makes you say that?

    You are making it bus-specific by putting these calls all over the tree
    in different bus subsystems semi-randomly for all I can determine.

    > > What is the root-problem of your delay in device probing? I read your
    > > last patch series and I can't seem to figure out what the issue is that
    > > this is solving in any "better" way from the existing deferred probing.
    >
    > So, I don't actually have any platforms that are especially bothered by
    > this (at least not for my use cases) so there's a bit of educated
    > guessing going on here but there's two broad things I'm aware of.
    >
    > One is that regardless of the actual performance of the system when
    > deferred probe goes off it splats errors all over the console which
    > makes it look like something is going wrong even if everything is fine
    > in the end. If lots of deferred probing happens then the volume gets
    > big too. People find this distracting, noisy and ugly - it obscures
    > actual issues and trains people to ignore errors. I do think this is a
    > reasonable concern and that it's worth trying to mitigate against
    > deferral for this reason alone. We don't want to just ignore the errors
    > and not print anything either since if the resource doesn't appear the
    > user needs to know what is preventing the driver from instantiating so
    > they can try to fix it.

    This has come up many times, I have no objection to just turning that
    message into a debug message that can be dynamically enabled for those
    people wanting to debug their systems for boot time issues.

    Please send a patch to do so.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2015-10-18 22:01    [W:4.383 / U:0.012 seconds]