SubjectRe: SoCFPGA ethernet broken
On 10/16/2015 08:56 AM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> So I think I'll move to inspect what Florian had suggested, and that was to look
>> at: drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_mdio.c::stmmac_mdio_register
>
> I have a suspicion. If you look at the phy driver it does:
>
> static int ksz9021_config_init(struct phy_device *phydev)
> {
> const struct device *dev = &phydev->dev;
> const struct device_node *of_node = dev->of_node;
>
> if (!of_node && dev->parent->of_node)
> of_node = dev->parent->of_node;

Maybe we need to walk up the hierarchy.

Perhaps something like:

const struct device *dev_walker;

dev_walker = &phydev->dev;
do {
of_node = dev_walker->of_node;
dev_walker = dev_walker->parent;
} while (!of_node && dev_walker);

An alternative would be to assign the bus the same of_node as the bus
parent.

If either approach works, you can add:
Acked-by: David Daney <david.daney@cavium.com>

to the patch that implements it.

> In your case, you don't have a phy node in your device tree, so of_node
> is NULL. So it looks in the parent device.
>
> phylib: Make PHYs children of their MDIO bus, not the bus' parent.
>
> changed what the parent is. It is now the mdio device. Before, i
> suspect it was the MAC. Hence it found your properties in the MAC
> node.
>
> What i think you might want to do is change this code. Rather than
> look a dev->parent->of_node; you might want
> phydev->attached_dev->dev->of_node.
>
> This assumes the phy has been attached to the MAC. I've no idea of the
> ordering, so maybe it has not been attached yet?
>
> dp83867.c has similar code. However quick grep did not find any
> mainline users with properties in the MAC node. If that is true, i
> would suggest removing the code looking in the parent for that phy
> driver.
>
> Andrew

  Last update: 2015-10-16 19:21    [W:0.264 / U:0.636 seconds]