SubjectRe: Query: ARM64: Behavior of el1_dbg exception while executing el0_dbg

On Friday 09 January 2015 09:16 PM, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 05:28:37PM +0000, Pratyush Anand wrote:

>>> Hmm, debug exceptions should be masked at this point so I don't see why
>>> you're taking the second debug exception.
>>>

>> So, you mean to say that when an exception which has been taken from
>> lower exception level (EL0) is being executed, then we keep masked also
>> the exception from current exception level (EL1)...
>
> Yeah, if you look at entry.S then you'll see that neither el0_dbg or el1_dbg
> re-enable debug exceptions (masked automatically by the CPU after taking the
> exception) until *after* the handling has completed. This is to prevent
> recursive debug exceptions, which I don't see how we can reasonable handle.

May be I am missing something, but my observation on silicon is
different. Please have a look at git log of HEAD of following branch,
which says that el1_dbg exception has been raised while el0_dbg was
executing. Do not know what I am missing..

https://github.com/pratyushanand/linux/tree/ml_arm64_uprobe_devel_debug_kprobe_insertion_at_uprobe_breakpoint_handler

>> If, so then how to handle it. One way is that I assign a __kprobe
>> qualifier to uprobe_breakpoint_handler and uprobe_single_step_handler,
>> so that an user can not insert a kprobe there. But, that does not seem
>> to be a good idea, because it will only prevent these two functions to
>> be probed. What about the functions which is being called by these
>> functions like uprobe_pre_sstep_notifier & uprobe_post_sstep_notifier
>> which lie in generic kernel code. So, may be we need something in
>> debug-monitor, which handles this situation, no?
>
> I'm not sure how to solve it, but we certainly can't allow debug exceptions
> to trigger on the debug exception handling path. The first thing to do would
> be finding out where they are getting re-enabled.

As of now I will put uprobe_breakpoint_handler and
uprobe_single_step_handler symbols under NOKPROBE_SYMBOL.

Other than these, we should also put functions like brk_handler,
do_dbg_exception (all those which comes in debug exception handling
path) under NOKPROBE_SYMBOL, as they have been done in
arch/x86/kernel/traps.c

In my opinion uprobe_pre_sstep_notifier and uprobe_post_sstep_notifier
should also be put under NOKPROBE_SYMBOL. Adding linux-kernel to comment.

~Pratyush

> Will

  Last update: 2015-01-09 18:21    [W:0.069 / U:0.732 seconds]