SubjectRe: [Nbd] [RFC 4/4] nbd: Add support for nbd as root device
On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 09:04:00AM +0100, Markus Pargmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:42:54AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Not that I'm opposed to this, but you do realize that doing nbd-client
> > from initramfs or similar is possible, right? Most initramfs
> > implementations these days support it.
>
> Yes, that was the first idea how to implement a complete netboot for an
> embedded ARM device. However, an initramfs is at least around 1MB in
> size which has to be loaded using tftp. As the essential nbd-client
> connection setup and negotiation is quite small I decided to go with
> nbd-root support.
>
> Also it is quite useful to have nbd-root support much like nfsroot
> directly built-in for debugging purposes. It has the big advantage of
> booting/testing read-only filesystem images for embedded systems without
> the need for an initramfs.

Fair enough, just thought I'd point it out.

When looking at your patch set, two things pop out which you should
probably look at:
- What will happen if someone boots with root-on-NBD in your scheme and
later does a pivot_root() followed by an NBD_DISCONNECT ioctl on the
device?
- When a connection is started by nbd-client, the kernel creates a "pid"
file in sysfs, which contains the PID of the client and which the
client (when called with -c, or in other cases) uses to verify whether
a device is connected. At first glance, your patch does not do this,
which could cause confusion.

I must admit I haven't checked your patch very well (my kernel fu isn't
that advanced) so I might have missed something, but I'd rather point
it out now than have to fix the pieces afterwards ;-)

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

-- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26

  Last update: 2015-01-30 18:41    [W:0.099 / U:1.044 seconds]