SubjectRe: [RFCv3 2/2] dma-buf: add helpers for sharing attacher constraints with dma-parms
On 29 January 2015 at 21:17, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 09:00:11PM +0530, Sumit Semwal wrote:
>> So, short answer is, it is left to the exporter to decide. The dma-buf
>> framework should not even attempt to decide or enforce any of the
>> above.
>>
>> At each dma_buf_attach(), there's a callback to the exporter, where
>> the exporter can decide, if it intends to handle these kind of cases,
>> on the best way forward.
>>
>> The exporter might, for example, decide to migrate backing storage,
>
> That's a decision which the exporter can not take. Think about it...
>
> If subsystem Y has mapped the buffer, it could be accessing the buffer's
> backing storage at the same time that subsystem Z tries to attach to the
> buffer.

Well, first up, of course the 'migration of backing storage' is an
orthogonal problem to what this patchset attempts to do - in this, I
am only try to make the relevant information available to the
exporter.

With that out of the way, some thoughts on what you mentioned:

So, IF the exporter needs to support migration of backing storage,
even when subsystem Y has mapped the buffer, the exporter knows this
(because of the map_dma_buf() dma_buf_op) - and the attach() also is
notified to / handled by the exporter. With this information, it could
either:
a) not let the subsystem Z attach (the 'simpler' approach), or
b) hold enough state-information about the Z's attach request
internally, then migrate the pages on the unmap_attachment() callback
from the subsystem Y?

(The exact details for this will need to be thought-of by exporters
actually trying to do migration of pages, or delayed allocation, or
such, though)

> Once the buffer has been exported to another user, the exporter has
> effectively lost control over mediating accesses to that buffer.
>
> All that it can do with the way the dma-buf API is today is to allocate
> a _different_ scatter list pointing at the same backing storage which
> satisfies the segment size and number of segments, etc.
>
> There's also another issue which you haven't addressed. What if several
> attachments result in lowering max_segment_size and max_segment_count
> such that:
>
> max_segment_size * max_segment_count < dmabuf->size
>
> but individually, the attachments allow dmabuf->size to be represented
> as a scatterlist?
>
> If an exporter were to take notice of the max_segment_size and
> max_segment_count, the resulting buffer is basically unrepresentable
> as a scatterlist.

Thanks for pointing that out; I guess we'd have to disallow the
attachment which would make that happen. I can add this as another
check in calc_constraints().

>> > Please consider the possible sequences of use (such as the scenario
>> > above) when creating or augmenting an API.
>> >

>> I tried to think of the scenarios I could think of, but If you still
>> feel this approach doesn't help with your concerns, I'll graciously
>> accept advice to improve it.
>
> See the new one above :)

Another thanks for making me rack my puny brain on these scenarios! :)
[though I strongly suspect I might not have done enough!]
> --
> FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
> according to speedtest.net.

BR,
~Sumit.

  Last update: 2015-01-29 18:01    [W:0.173 / U:0.352 seconds]